8강 어휘 추론 > 영어공부방

본문 바로가기

영어공부방

8강 어휘 추론

페이지 정보

작성자 허종 댓글 0건 조회 76,799회 작성일 11-12-06 10:44

본문

;8강 Many people take numerous photos while traveling or on vacation or during significant life celebrations to preserve the experience for the future. But the role of photographer may actually detract from their delight in the present moment. I know a father who devoted himself earnestly to photographing the birth of his first and only child. The photos were beautiful but, he lamented afterward he felt that he had missed out on the most important first moment of his son’s life. Looking through the camera lens made him detached from the scene. He was just an observer, not an experiencer. Teach yourself to use your camera in a way that enhance your ongoing experiences, by truly looking at things and noticing what is beautiful and meaningful.
1. Your superconscious mind is capable of goal-oriented motivation. When you are absolutely clear about something you really want, you experience a continuous flow of energy and motivation that drives you toward it. Your superconscious mind is actually a source of “free energy.” When you are excited about achieving something, you tap into this energy source, like plugging into a universal electrical outlet. You seem to need less sleep than before. You may work longer without becoming motivated. You feel happier and more in control of your life. You feel terrific about yourself for long periods. You are seldom sick or fatigued. You feel as if you are on a psychological high, and indeed you are.
2. Starving children are going to continue to peer out at us from our televisions and magazines, their tine, dried-up bodies nagging at our conscience and calling for us to do something. These pictures of starving Africans may leave the impression that Africa is overpopulated and most land is too poor for farming. The truth, however, is far different. Africa has 22 percent of the earth’s land, but only 14 percent of the earth’s population. In addition, Africa contains some of the world’s largest areas suitable for agriculture. The reason for famines in Africa, then, cannot be too many people living on barren land. The
Reality is that their misery is due to some other problems: drought, inefficient farming
techniques, and wars that disrupt harvests and food distribution.
3. Sisters are inevitably compared to each other, because they are often together and, in any case, are thought of together. Each one’s character or personality tends to be described in contrast to the other’s: the outgoing one and the shy one; the artist and the athlete; the smart one and the pretty one. And comparison is never far from competition. It is built into the relationship, because sisters seek support and approval from the same adults, and it can often seem, whether it’s true or not, that love and attention given to one depletes what’s available for the other. The same is true of brothers, and of sisters and brothers. Indeed, much of what I say about sisters applies to brothers too. I am certain that examples I give of sister conversations will remind many readers of their brothers and of other relationships.
4. The birth of a volcanic island is an event marked by prolonged and violent labor: the forces of the earth striving to create, and all the forces of the sea opposing. The sea floor, where an island begins, is probably nowhere more than about fifty miles thick--a thin covering over the vast bulk of the earth. In it are deep cracks and breaks, the results of unequal cooling and shrinkage in past ages. Along such lines of weakness the molten lava from the earth’s interior presses up and finally bursts forth into the sea. Despite the immense pressure of sea water, the new volcanic cone builds upward. Once within reach of the waves, its ash and tuff are violently attacked. But, eventually, in new eruptions, the cone is pushed up into the air and a wide pile of earth against the attacks of the waves is built of hardened lava.
5. Since the 1980s, zoos have strived to reproduce the natural habitats of their animals, replacing concrete floors and steel bars with grass, trees, and pools of water. These environments may imitate the wild, but the animals don’t have to worry about finding food, shelter, or safety from predators. While this may not seem like such a bad deal at first glance, the animals experience numerous complications. The zebras living next door to the Great Cats exhibit constantly smell the lions, but find themselves unable to run away. There’s no possibility of migrating or of storing food for the winter, which must seem to promise equally certain nervousness to a bird or bear. In short, zoo life is utterly unsuited to animal’s most deeply ingrained survival instincts.
6. Space perception is not only a matter of what can be sense but what can be screened out. People brought up in different cultures learn as children, without ever knowing they have done so, to screen out one type of information while paying close attention to another. The Japanese, for example, screen visually in a variety of ways but are perfectly content with paper walls as acoustic screens. In contrast, the Germans and the Dutch depend on thick walls and double doors to screen sound, and have difficulty if they must rely on their own powers of concentration to screen out sound. If two rooms are the same size and one screens out sound but the other one doesn’t the sensitive German who is trying to concentrate will feel less stressed in the former because he feels less intruded on.
7. In predominantly rural America of colonial times and the early 1800s, children had been an economic blessing. They cost relatively little to bring up because much of their food, shelter, and clothing was produced on the family farm. At the same time they contributed to their own upkeep by starting to do valuable chores while they were still young. Finally as farm parents grew old, it was relatively easy for their children to pay them back by supporting them. However, the economic balance in urban and industrial setting is different. City children are more likely to be economically inefficient. On the cost side, all food, clothing, and shelter have to be purchased. Furthermore, the more schooling, the greater the potential return for both parents and child, but the greater the risk and expense.
8. When firearms first reached Japan in 1543, there were some factors working against the acceptance of firearms. The country had a numerous warrior class, the samurai for whom swords rated as class symbols and works of art. Japanese warfare had previously involved single combats between samurai swordmen, who stood in the open, made ritual speeches, and then took pride in fighting gracefully. Such behavior became lethal in the presence of soldiers ungracefully shooting away with guns. In addition, guns were a foreign invention and grew to be despised, as did other things foreign in Japan after 1600. The samurai-controlled government introduced a requirement of a government license for producing a gun, then issued licenses only for guns produced for the government, and finally reduced government orders for guns, until Japan was almost without functional guns again.
9. Although comets appeared free from the effects of gravity, Edmond Halley wondered if gravity influenced their movement. He found three comets--those occurring in 1531, 1607, and the one he viewed himself in 1682--with nearly identical paths. This discovery led him to the conclusion that the comets were really a single comet passing by the Earth three different times. Halley, however, found a problem with this assumption. The period between the first and second sightings was a year longer than the period between the second and third sightings. To deal with this inconsistency, Holley suggested that the comet’s path was thrown a little off course by the gravitational fields of Jupiter and Saturn as it passed by those large planets. Halley’s work dispelled the prevailing theories about comets in that era.
10. What’s the difference between a geek and a nerd? A geek is any smart person with an enthusiastic interest. Despite widespread misconception, that interest does not have to be computers. In fact, many of us are geeks of one kind or another, whether or not we admit it. If you’ve got an intense passion and a serviceable IQ, you’re living proof. A nerd seems to be any smart person with an active interest, but also a lack of social skills. Nerds are uncompromisingly pure, often more comfortable with themselves than non-nerds are. In fact, they are courageous because they do not give in to the expectations of a superficial society. The one possible exception to this is their drive to excel academically. Nerds are promiscuous studiers. They gravitate toward math, science, and technology. While both words were at one time insulting, nowadays they are routinely used as terms of endearment.
11. Although exact accounts of the origins of theater in ancient Greece do not survive, many believe it evolved out of religious rituals. According to Aristotle’s Poetics, tragedy grew out of dithyrambs, hymns sung to honor Dionysus, the god of wine and fertility. Over time, dithyrambs became quite elaborate, involving entire choruses who sang and danced. The chorus related dramatic stories and episodes derived from myth. Although the exact manner in which the dithyrambs developed into tragedy remains unclear, people speculate it was the result of an innovation made on the part of a member of the chorus who stepped out the chorus and added additional lines. The person credited with this development is Thespis, who, as a playwright himself, won the first dramatic contest presented in Athens.
12. In the past, employees did exactly what they were instructed to do. If they didn’t receive clear directions, then nothing got done. In fact, if they received directions that they knew would produce a low-quality product, they carried them out anyway. That was how the management-employee relationship worked. The new workforce presents the polar opposite viewpoint. Today, employees are expected to make minute-by-minute decisions related to their work tasks. They are more independent. The company no longer expects to have to give specific directions for each task or problem. Instead, employees are asked to direct their own work flow and to keep productivity up even when required resources are not available. They have to learn how to work smarter, make the most of limited time and budgets, and be more productive in their own work environment.
13. The Greek philosopher Socrates observed, “The unexamined life if not worth living.” For most people, however, reflection and self-examination don’t come naturally. As much as any other kind of thinking, reflection requires solitude. Distraction and reflection simply don’t mix. It’s not the kind of thing you can do well near a television, while the phone is ringing, or with children in the same room. One of the reasons I’ve been able to accomplish much and keep growing personally is that I’ve not only set aside time to meditate, but I’ve separated myself from distractions for short blocks of time: thirty minutes in the spa; an hour outside on a rock in my back yard; or a few hours in a comfortable chair in my office. The place doesn’t matter—as long as you remove yourself from interruptions.
14. Are perfectionists made or born? Probably both. I was raised by a perfectionist father and a very casual mother. During childhood this confused me sometimes, and I think it had a huge effect on who I am today. I feel sometimes like I have a split personality. I constantly catch myself being a perfectionist as a parent and in my career. But in other areas I’m happy to release things or situations somewhat—at home, for example, with my appearance. I’ve taken on parts of my father, who drove himself relentlessly in his career, and my mother, who felt comfortable amid clutter and wore no makeup aside from an occasional shade of lipstick. My mom was no perfectionist when it came to clothing, and I’ve inherited that trait, too—I don’t care much about clothes, either.
15. In the days of our grandparents, local farms were the main source of food, and bread was baked every day with freshly harvested grains. Milk came from cows that lived in natural environments, and were not injected with hormones and antibiotics. Today’s food is quite different from the food our grandparents ate; it is grown in large farms where the mineral content of the soil has been depleted due to over-farming. Did you know that an ounce of spinach grown on a local farm in the 1940s contained five times more iron than an ounce of spinach commercially grown today? It is almost impossible to maintain a healthy body by simply consuming today’s commercially processed foods. You can protect your health by making it a habit to supplement your diet with vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional elements.
16. A leader must possess a positive attitude in order to successfully navigate others. You’ve got to have faith that you can take your people all the way. If you can’t confidently make the trip in your mind, you’re not going to be able to take it in real life. On the other hand, you also have to be able to see the facts realistically. You can’t ignore obstacles or rationalize your challenges. If you don’t go in with your eyes wide open, you’re going to get blindsided. As Bill Easum says, “Successful leaders are objective enough to minimize illusions. They understand that self-deception can cost them their vision.” Balancing optimism and realism, intuition and planning, faith and fact can be very difficult. But that’s what it takes to be effective as a navigating leader.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

Total 28건 1 페이지
영어공부방 목록
조회 날짜
28 허종 290 11-15
27 허종 845344 02-26
열람중 허종 76800 12-06
25 허종 26478 12-06
24 허종 12155 12-06
23 허종 4623 05-05
22 허종 106 05-05
21 허종 70263 05-05
20 허종 119 05-05
19 허종 189 05-05
18 허종 163 01-09
17 허종 165 11-22
16 허종 259 04-18
15 허종 142 04-13
14 허종 21458 04-11
게시물 검색

회원로그인

그누보드5
Copyright © servas.kr All rights reserved.